Thursday, April 17, 2014

Crushing on...

Bollywood Movies!



This may or not be relatable to some of you... but i'm going to blabber about bollywood movies anyway. Because me and Nadia are South Asian, all our lives we've been exposed to Indian cinema and the Indian version of Hollywood, Bollywood. There's even a Dollywood, if you didn't know. Growing up, my very first Indian movie was Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (literally means something happens), the movie was absolutely adorable and I'm sure its a first for many others. Its the standard classic, if you want to watch a Bollywood movie start off with KKHH, you won't regret it.

Through my teenage years I totally put off Bollywood movies, they were a rarity for me. I was very much into Hollywood movies, and would be annoyed by the all too well known romantic- the-guy-saves-the-girl-he-loves-but-is-forbidden-to-marry plots. BUT then i'm not so sure what happened, but American movies became super bland as I got into college. They were always so predictable and were just plain boring, except for a select few of course ( Inception, Limitless, The Help, P.S. I Love You, The Great Gatsby are some of my many faves).

But Indian/Bollywood movies are so different, they're all mostly really complex, intriguing, longer in duration, tear jerking, cultural, full of fun music and sometimes annoyingly coincidental (lol). You'll get humor, action, endless and tragic love, desperation, sheer joy all in one film. Its like a whirlwind of emotions to go through, but who cares we go through that anyway in real life. To tell you guys the truth i'm seriously obsessed, I cant stop and I don't think i'll ever stop watching Bollywood films. You know whats weird, plain old English/Hollywood/American movies are just that to me, plain and old. They just don't do it for me anymore (except for the occasional movie that is so awesome).


Here are some of my faves! in no particular order... the colored ones are must-sees
1. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Something happens)
2. Kabhi Kushi Khabi Gham (Sometimes happy, sometimes sorrow)
3. Kaal Ho Na Ho ( Tomorrow will be, or not)
4. Rab Ne Banadi Jodi (A match made by God)
5. Dhoom 1, 2 3 (Explosion)
6. Veer Zara
7. Housefull
8. Fanaa (Destroyed)
9. Dostana (Friendship)
10. Aashiqui 2 ( Lover)
11. Jab we met (When we met)
12. Ghajini
13. 3 idiots
14. Lootera (Robber)
15. My name is Khan
16. Mohabbatein (Love stories)
17. Student of the year
18. Gunday (Goons)
19. Ram-Leela
20. Ramaiya Vastavaiya
21. English Vinglish
22. Shaadi ke side effects (The side effects of marriage)

Here's a um... a kind of long list of some that I've laughed, cried, died and died over. The genres are very mixed but I've enjoyed each one. They're great to watch with friends while hanging out or a sleepover. Watching these movies has also helped me so much with learning Hindi, I understand so much of it now and I don't need subtitles to watch them anymore. If your'e interested, just google the movie to watch for free online with english subtitles, a subtitled version is usually always available somewhere.  Okay I think i'll stop now!

Naema


No comments:

Post a Comment