Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Lemon Pound Cake

When I'm baking, I tend to stay away from some items which I don't really like to use. Lemon is one of them. I'm not a big fan of the sour and sweet mixed together and I don't think my taste buds can handle that combination.

Joking. I just don't really like lemons.


However, my mom has been asking me to bake a lemon cake for the past couple days and I thought, why not? I was actually really surprised with how this turned out and I really liked it. It was soft, moist, and wasn't as sour as you would think it would be. I got this recipe from Martha Stewart and though most of the time her recipes never turn out right for me, this one was perfect!


Lemon Pound Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:
  • 1 cup, unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 low fat buttermilk
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 5 large eggs
Lemon Glaze:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 to 4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Combine the buttermilk with the lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl.
  3. Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder.
  4. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
  5. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk mixture in two parts. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Do not over mix, blend until smooth.
  6. Grease your pan and pour in the batter, and smooth the top over (I used a bundt pan)
  7. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  8. Cool for 15 minuted before glazing.
  9. For the glaze: Mix the sugar and lemon juice, this glaze should be thick. You can add in more sugar or lemon juice to get the desired consistency and sweetness.
  10. Enjoy!
Nadia




1 comment:

  1. Nadia, I'm drooling over your cakes! They look SO delicious! I'd like to try this one for our next dinner party. xo

    ReplyDelete